Socialist Night School: What Will Socialism Look Like?
@ Hairpin Arts Center
2810 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago, IL 60618
Opening Sunday, December 8th, from 12PM - 2:30PM
At this Socialist Night School we will dive into theories of what a socialist society will look like and the paths to get there.
Socialism is not just about critiquing capitalism and its failures, but painting a vision for a new, more just and freer world for all people. What goes into that vision though? Is socialism a specific vision of particular things, or a world built on a set of principles that can look any number of different ways? Join us to discuss how we even build a vision of a socialist future and some of the ways people have thought about–and dreamed out–this in the past. The readings are below:
1. Tarnoff, Building Socialism from Below: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1731oHoNsQJLzoXU6yO_ZXjAT9MT4BQnr
2. Robinson, Socialism as a Set of Principles: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JBz3UBs01Lj9khHn9ar7BSSCrq5amM3P
3. Gindin, What a Socialist Society Could Actually Look Like: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JBz3UBs01Lj9khHn9ar7BSSCrq5amM3P
4. LeSeuer, I Was Marching: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7GpU4YKamsSY3Z6TnhyMVZmQ1ZHQXgwRXF3bDd5SU5JSjBF
5. Karl Marx, “Critique of the Gotha Program” https://tinyurl.com/sns3-5-marx
« previous event
next event »