Join Cause the Effect Chicago for our third annual Young Feminist Conference!
Feminists of all ages are welcomed and encouraged to attend our FREE conference to learn more about the issues that affect us HERE and NOW, and how our collective voices and actions can create the change we want to see in our communities, our city, and our country.
Patricia Frazier (Nat’l Youth Poet Laureate)
Tonika Lewis Johnson (Folded Map Project)
Emily Blue (Singer)
Tribble Tribble (Comedian)
PANEL 1: FROM HARVEY WEINSTEIN TO CPS: TURNING #METOO INTO #NONEOFUS
Moderated by Sarah Karp of WBEZ
Panelists including Kelin Hall (YWCA Metropolitan Chicago), Carolina Sánchez (Youth Resilience, formerly Rape Victim Advocates), Caitlin Tupper (Center on Halsted), Olivia Starr (Robert Crown Center for Health Education) + representative from CPS.
PANEL 2: EVERYDAY FEMINISM W/ FOUR ‘BAD FEMINISTS’
Moderated by Heidi Keibler Stevens, Chicago Tribune
Panelists including Mae C. Whiteside, PE (Engineer), Hadiya Afzal (Student + Candidate for @DuPage County Board), Trisha Prabhu (Founder of ReThink anti-bullying app) & Deveraux Peters (WNBA player)
PANEL 3: IT’S NOT CHIRAQ: VIOLENCE IN CHICAGO BEYOND THE HEADLINES
Moderated by Kimberley Egonmwan, WVON 1690AM – The Talk of Chicago
Panelists including Nza-Ari Khepra (Co-Founder Wear Orange and Project Orange Tree), Jennifer Coleman (State’s Attorney’s Office), Abbey Smith (Mercy Home For Boys & Girls), and The Law Office of Sandra J. Wortham (Attorney).
BREAK-OUT SESSIONS: (These are smaller, more interactive workshops. Please be sure to select your top two choices when you register)
• Honoring your right to vote: Why your vote matters and how to make the most of it w/ BallotReady
• Love your Mother: A breakout on Environmental Activism w/ Sierra Club Illinois + Chicago Youth Alliance for Climate Action
• Ask a Dreamer: the personal stories driving immigration activism w/ The Resurrection Project
• Access Denied: A breakout session about Reproductive Justice w/ Fempowerment Chicago
• Your Voice as a Tool: How to speak up to effect change w/ Girlspeak
• Youth Activism w/ Assata’s Daughters
BREAK-OUT SESSIONS FOR PARENTS: (Yes! ALL Feminists are welcome!)
• Let’s talk about sex, baby: How to talk to your young feminist about sexual health w/ Dr. Traci Kurtzer, Northwestern Medicine – Intimate Partner Violence/ Sexual Violence Prevention Group
• How to Raise a Feminist w/ Ife Williams, BYP 100